WELCOME TO SLAMMY'S KITCHEN... WHATS COOKIN?

ENJOY

Friday, March 7, 2008

Clockwork #2

This is my second Clockwork post and I am almost half way through. This is the first book since Christopher Paolini's Eragon that I have had the motivation to read at home. Yes, instead of watching Seinfeld or playing March Madness 08 on a dilapidated, outdated Playstation 2 system, Sam Davis read a book. Based on my peers' comments, I thought that the nadsat language barrier would be a problem and a burden to my reading, but I have realized tht the unknown words actually make the text even more interesting. I enjoy figuring out what these new words mean by either context or by looking them up.
The character of Alex De Large or, Alex "The Large" as he calls himself, has me so intrigued that I have pondered peeking at Sparknotes and ruining the book just to get their incite on his character. However, I refuse to do such research because I do not want the end to be spoiled. Delarge's newest claim that has me so confused about who he truly is is his love for classical music. When he plays classical music in his room, he describes a calm feeling that engulfs him bringing him into an ultimate nirvana or heaven, where nothing in the world can go wrong. On page 36, Alex even describes the speakers being set up in his room so the music surrounds him. "The little speakers of my stereo were all arranged around the room, on ceiling, walls, floor, so, lying on my bed slooshying the music, I was like netted and meshed in the orchestra." He continues, "Oh bliss, bliss, and heaven... Oh it was gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh... Oh it was wonder of wonders." DeLarge's love for classical music so sharply contrasts his addiction for violence but I can't help but see a connection between the two. Later, he takes advantage of two young drunken girls in his bed as he plays classical music.
Another curiosity that has only been itched thus far in the novle is the title. What significance does the title hold and how does it pertain to the novel? The words were mentioned for the first time when the droogs terrorize the house of a man who is writing a book called "A Clockwork Orange." While researching, I found an explanationr for the title which makes perfect sense - a clockwork orange is someone that can only do good or only do bad, which is what Alex seems to be in Part I of the novel. This research site analyzes and explains the connection of the title to Alex and the novel very well.
I am about to enter Part II of the novel and I am very excited to see what events Alex and the droogs have planned next.

No comments: