WELCOME TO SLAMMY'S KITCHEN... WHATS COOKIN?

ENJOY

Monday, March 17, 2008

Clockwork #3

I am now almost done with Part 2 of the novel, so I am figuring that I will finish it sometime around 2012. My past posts were focused around the intriguing character and narrator, Alex DeLarge. Unfortunately, his true character was revealed as he was being captured by the "razdraz" at the end of Part I. Upon meeting the police, he immediately screeches the identity and demands the capturing of his droogs, saying "It was all their idea, brothers. They like forced me to do it. I'm innocent, bog butcher you." Alex's cowardly reaction to the unfortunate events reveals his true identity, disproving any pretenses that the reader may have been under in believing that Alex was a real leader or a bold and mentally strong person. I must confess that DeLarge had me believing that the kid was hardly short of a genius - a strong-minded, headstrong boy that was simply always up to mischief. The scene where he emerged victorious in fights against two of his droogs had me further on the Alex DeLarge bandwagon. Now it is apparent that Alex uses weapons and preys upon weaker, defenseless victims to hide his pusillanimous and spineless nature. On a geocities site the critic writes "Alex hypnotizes his readers into becoming fans of his 'ultra-violence' but his gutless tendencies are later revealed." It's good to know that I am not the only person who sees right through Alex's transparency. I am disappointed in this revelation that I have come across, although I am now happy that he was captured.

No comments: